Tuesday, April 30, 2013

It's A Beautiful Day in The Neighbourhood

If a smooth R&B artist, an alt rock band, and an amazing lyricist had a magical music baby that child would be the California band The Neighbourhood. The band spells their name with the "ou" so you know they have to be pretty dope. Their sound is a perfect blend of smooth and soulful beats with an alternative rock feel. It's just flat out cool.
I first heard them on the Sirius station Alt Nation, which is where I get pretty much all of my new hipster music, and instantly fell in love. They don't sound like much out there and that is rare these days. It seems like every alt band sounds the same, BLASFEMY!, but it's the truth. Don't get me wrong.... I love alt rock and will never stop listening to it, but at times it gets a bit monotone and when something new and exciting comes along it gets me all giddy. In fact that is what made me decide to start this blog. The great thing about alt rock is the ability to sound different and have people be excited about it! It seems that alt fans, or lets just call them what you call them; Hipsters, are always wanting and looking for new and different music and when it comes along they get giddy right along with me.

So back to The Neighbourhood.....
Love them. They are great. Here are a few of my favorite songs from their debut album I Love You.

This song is their first single called Female Robbery. It starts with these haunting church bells and electric scream that makes your ears perk up and listen. Then his smooth voice kicks in and takes it from there. Not my favorite song but it is what got me interested. Weird video alert.


The next song is Flawless. I. Love. This. Song. I can't really put my finger on why but it just grabs me. Maybe it's the blend of hip hop beats and wailing guitar or the sweet lyrics with a shadowy feel, either way it's top 3 from the album.


The last song I would like to highlight is my favorite from the album and when I see them in June in Dallas and they play this I will FLIP. It's called Sweater Weather. I think this song shows their Cali influences and could quite possibly be a beach bum under that broody exterior.


So those are my 3 songs to check out. Of course I think the whole album is excellent and you should drop the $8 on iTunes and check it out. Or! Even better you could get Spotify. But Rachel, what's Spotify? Well if you haven't heard of it yet it's a music screaming service that pretty much lets you make playlists with every song known to man on your computer. If you buy the $10 monthly premium subscription you can listen on your smart phone and no commercials. It's amazing and I have not bought an iTunes album in forever because I just listen on Spotify.

Goes well with: Pharrell Williams and Youngblood Hawke

-Till Later
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment