Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pop Doesn't Have to Be a 4 Letter Word - Walk The Moon

As a kid of the 90's I cannot help but love pop songs. One trend in the alt rock scene is the slight pop influences in emerging bands. One band that I have followed and loved since the summer of 2012 is Walk The Moon. They are a 4 piece alt rock band from Cincinnati. Their songs drip with youth and are positively infectious. Each one starts with a bang and has hooks that are clever and hard to get out of your head. In addition to the normal talented musician blah blah they also have electronic and snare drum spotlights. The lead singer will bring out his snare and just WAIL on it during their concerts. It's awesome. I have seen them twice and am currently tapping my foot impatiently, waiting for them to come back to Dallas.
Now to address my pop comment. I know that in the alt world it seems like pop has been a 4 letter word when describing a group or song. Pop doesn't necessarily mean the songs have no substance and were written for someone with a 4th grade education (like songs that list the days of the week and reassure you that, yes, Sunday does come after Saturday). This band uses pop in a very smart and entertaining way. They are an alternative band with a perfectly pop vein wrapped in an easily digestible box. Anyone can listen to this music and it's hard not to enjoy if it's your style.
It's young, fun, upbeat, dance-y, clever, and catchy as hell.

So without further adieu I'd like to present you with my top 3 songs from their debut self titled album. As always if you hear anything you dig please please please check this band out if you already haven't.

The first song I want to highlight is the big single off of the record called "Anna Sun". The video is great, and how can you not love something with a random dance break.


The next song is the opening of their album called Quesadilla. Do not ask my why it's called that and if you know why please comment on here because I would love to know. This song has a much heavier snare feature and the "HEY" makes you punch your fist and shout along with them.


The final song I want to share is Shiver Shiver. If this song picks up steam I think it could be a Top 40 hit. Catchy and fun, just give this song a chance and I can see you listening to it over and over.



One last comment on Walk The Moon, more an anecdote really. My current boyfriend, who is such an amazing man, was dragged to a Walk The Moon show in Austin with me. Mostly against his will. He had never heard of them and was a little unsure about how he would feel about them. He is a pure rock kind of guy and this pop junk doesn't really appeal to him. I bombarded him with the album the whole way down and somehow indoctrinated him into the Walk the Moon fan club. By the time the show started he was jumping and (sort of) singing along with the songs and still tells me how much fun he had at that show. He listens to the band at least once a day and it makes me proud every time he does.

A photo from that show!


Goes well with: Foster The People and Royal Teeth

-Till later

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment